Aspirin Benefits Outweigh Risks in Macular Degeneration
by: Laird Harrison
VIENNA — Patients can continue to take aspirin as recommended by their primary care physicians without fear of worsening their macular degeneration, researchers say.
“Taking patients off aspirin can cause premature morbidity and mortality,” said Kent Small, MD, from Los Angeles, California.
He presented a meta-analysis on aspirin, cardiovascular disease, and age-related macular degeneration here at the American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS) 2015 Annual Meeting.
Dr Small explained that he got interested in the topic when he realized that his patients were reacting to reports in the media of studies linking macular degeneration to aspirin use.
“My patients were coming into my office having taken themselves off aspirin without having any discussion with their primary doctors or me,” he said.
He conducted a literature review and found 197 cardiovascular studies with 167,582 subjects and four ophthalmologic studies with 13,175 subjects.
Randomized placebo-controlled trials provide strong evidence that aspirin can reduce the risk for cardiovascular disease, he reported.

 

My patients were coming into my office having taken themselves off aspirin without having any discussion with their primary doctors or me.Dr Kent Small

 

A previous meta-analysis by the Antithrombotic Trialists Collaboration demonstrated that aspirin reduces vascular mortality by 15%, total mortality by 10%, and stroke by 25%, but increases the risk for extracranial bleeds ( Lancet. 2009;373:1849-1860)………
Read more: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/848175
Source: Medscape

On