By Dr. Joshua Mali
- Why is sunlight/glare so uncomfortable/damaging overall?
– UV light exposure in high levels can cause damage to the eye from front (cornea/lens) to back (retina).
- Why are anti-glare sunglasses important?
– Sunglasses with UV light protection or polarization help to block out the damaging effects of sunlight on our eyes.
- Why are night glasses important?
– Anti-reflective coating on glasses are very important, especially with night glasses. This coating helps to reduce glare which can be a critical factor with driving at night with oncoming headlights shining all around the driver.
- What are some things people should look for in anti-glare sunglasses?
– The key thing is to make sure that it is truly anti-reflective coating (AR). This is important to distinguish it from just UV light protection or polarization which blocks out UV light wavelengths.
- What some things people should look for in night vision glasses?
– Night vision glasses should have anti-reflective coating which is a key feature. Other things include high definition lenses which may help with optimal viewing at night.
- Any additional recommendations on different types of glasses depending on face shapes or personality styles?
– I recommend people have a complete eye examination in addition to proper eyeglass fitting session to achieve the best fit from a clinical standpoint (good fit on face, proper prescription, etc.) and style perspective (brand, design, etc.).
Joshua Mali, MD, is a board-certified ophthalmologist and award-winning vitreoretinal surgeon at The Eye Associates, a private multi-specialty ophthalmology practice in Sarasota, Florida. He is the Retina Medical Director of the Macular Degeneration Association (MDA).